Friday, July 31, 2009

London Aquarium (July 31st)




After the temple we went back home and I went to the London Aquarium. I ended up going by myself but I still really enjoyed it. I took my time and saw sharks, sting rays and jelly fish. The best was the sea horses I loved them!!! I learned that they have no real stomachs and can eat up to 17 times a day!! The shark tank was also rad. I learned a few interesting facts while I was there too, I learned that there are 460 different types of sharks and that there are 35 different types in Britain alone. I also learned that sharks cannot breathe if they are not moving through the water. If a shark does not swim for ten minutes it will suffocate. They had several different types in this aquarium but the most interesting to me was the tiger shark. I learned that while most sharks can have up to 8 pups each pregnancy, tiger sharks can only have two. They have two uteruses and each one will have four or five babies in them, however they eat each other in the wombs. Only the one strongest will survive. Also I thought it was crazy to learn that tiger sharks will loose about 20,000 teeth in their lifetimes! Something else cool about sharks, they can sense electrical currents. So even though there eyesight isn’t the best they can sense a human heart beat and know where they are and how close they are. Finally, my last cool fact about sharks is that their skin is so rough that it was commonly used as sand paper. The aquarium was awesome and I loved learning about all of the different species. It was all fascinating to me and it surprised me how little we still know about the ocean and the creatures living in it. One statistic said that more people have been to space than to the deep sea realm.


No comments:

Post a Comment